Sunday, March 20, 2022

Meditation (For a Rhinestone Cowboy)

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/charlespoet/episodes/2022-03-20T07_48_46-07_00

For years I’ve heard “Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)” was about God, but not until hearing Rob McNurlin sing it did I understand.
It’s a meditation on death and all that comes before and after this Spaghetti Western we call life.
Survival of the fittest is not always in the cards because oftentimes the quickest draw only gets you drawn and quartered.

A prayer of redemption and a lamentation to a God who doesn’t always have his or her ducks in a row.
That’s the beauty of The Mystery because Christ is in the details and once the architecture speaks to you the sky is just the beginning.
He saddled up his horse and rode through the ruins toward the town of his birth.

Rob towers over me like a giant and I’d have it no other way because he makes me feel safe and protected from an onslaught of sin.
We dropped everything to hear him sing in a small church in Kentucky and it’s one of the few times I laid my burden down and lowered my guard completely.
The hymns he sings are about the blood spilled as demons are vanquished in the name of Jehovah.

Let’s get one thing straight we’re all crooked to a degree and doing our best to straighten out and free ourselves from our chains.
Street Legal is my favorite Bob Dylan record because I find it to be his most human as he wrestles the shadows for the light of foresight.
I was waiting for a friend, so I pulled over to the side of the road as Rob ambled up and tipped his cowboy hat my way.

Charles Cicirella
3/19/2022

No comments: