Saturday, June 18, 2016

“Love and only love will endure”

http://charlespoet.podomatic.com/entry/2016-06-17T21_42_02-07_00

Truer words have never been spoken
Or broken
And if you don’t believe me
Just ask Bob or Neil
When they’re in the mood to share and dispense some hard fought wisdom.

She was standing by the river
I envisioned pushing her in and then jumping in to save her,
But I never learned to swim or feel remorse
So I decided what’s even the point
When old dogs learning new tricks is such a worn down and shaggy dog cliché.

And you never really understood me
Not even when you were nineteen and I was 36
And you sat on my lap in the basement of that bookstore in that college town.
Your buttocks so firm as you looked into my unemployed eyes
Wondering if I’d ever get my shit together.

And we fight like the dickens when we believe our life is coming to an end
Most of the time though we take time for granted like a grandparent we only visit when it suits us and we have a birthday coming up.
God may be a concept in which we measure our pain, but I’d hate to be on the wrong side of the barrel when everything finally comes to pass and The Everlasting Man returns to take back what’s rightfully his.

Charles Cicirella
6/17/16

No comments: