Sunday, February 11, 2018

Peacefully Coexist

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/charlespoet/episodes/2018-02-11T07_41_34-08_00

Watching Strange Weather and eating chocolate Oreos
I am waking up to the very real possibility I’m slipping away
The truth hits me likes waves upon the craggy rocks

I cannot escape these impenetrable feelings that I have wronged myself in some way
I stopped reading my horoscope because I was tired of the future staring me in the face
The pygmy goat across the hall kept me awake morning, noon and night with its crying

I treasured the time we spent together until our treasure chest became an albatross around both of our necks
I wore a big cross and traveled down south like a pseudo gentile in search of something concrete or at the very least solid enough to keep my monsters at bay
You wore a wig hat and acted all high and mighty like a servant of God or music critic

After licking the chocolate off my fingers I took a sip of root beer and turned down the thermostat
Let’s remember who we are and that when times are tough its best to hunker down like a reformed saint
Politicians can all bite me for how little civic duty any of them are actually feeling

We peacefully coexist or we don’t it’s just that simple once everything comes out in the wash
I trusted you until I noticed the knife you had so ruefully stuck in my back
What’s the point of holding a grudge when it will only make you weaker and more susceptible to further attacks?
This loneliness haunts me like a ghost with no recompense and I am starting to believe this human stain won’t dissipate no matter how much water I pour onto my raging inferno soul

Watching from across the room as I tear myself into the littlest pieces and parts
There’s no coming back from this permanent darkness not when your brain refuses to shutoff even for just an hour or two
Let’s cut the chitchat and stop pretending the investment we’ve made into each other wasn’t real or worth its weight in gold

Pick the words that best represent you and leave the rest to chance
Making it up while you go along is about the only life plan left that makes any sense
Turn down the heat and cool yourself off in the unbearable lightness of your own being

Charles Cicirella
2/11/18

No comments: